The need for establishing a perpetual care Memorial Park of beauty and charm for the Jewish community of the Western Suburbs had long been felt by members of our congregation. It was therefore with a great deal of pride that several prominent spiritual leaders of West Suburban Temple Cemetery Association dedicated Har Zion Memorial Park on May 26th, 1957.
West Suburban Temple Cemetery Association, owners of Har Zion Memorial Park, took several years of diligent effort to plan and develop this cemetery. It hoped thus to offer the Jewish community of the Western suburbs a sacred burial ground which would be a credit to our people and at the same time instill an urge to visit a loved one in the quietness of a park.
The markings of graves in Har Zion Memorial Park are restricted to the use of flat bronze markers uniform in size and design, set flush with the turf. Such markers are:
Inexpensive – their cost is about that of the simple headstone of other days. The property owner saves an average of several hundred dollars formerly spent for monuments.
Democratic- all differences of class, property and wealth are forgotten in this Garden of Memorials.
Permanent – no substance known to man is more suitable for memorial purposes than bronze. Inscribed with the name and dates of the deceased, these markers will endure forever.
It is the solemn pledge of everyone associated with Har Zion Memorial Park to keep and cherish the faith and trust of those who, in time of sorrow, place their confidence in them to make final arrangements for the care of their loved ones.
The cemetery is located at 4410 Roosevelt Road in Hillside. It is a pleasant drive of 15-30 minutes from anyplace in Chicago.